Dear PYLUSD Families,
Learning is well underway following the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District (PYLUSD) Winter Recess. However, we ask that students affected by influenza (flu) symptoms stay home for at least 24 hours after their fever (100°F or higher) resolves without the use of fever-reducing medications and/or if they have significant nasal drainage.
The flu virus is easily spread from person-to-person through coughing and sneezing of infected individuals. Symptoms of the flu may include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue.
In addition, we encourage families to discuss practicing the following actions with students in order to help prevent the spread of germs at school:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If no tissue is available, cough into your elbow.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread easily this way.
- Do not share personal items such as towels or utensils.
Once again, we ask that families please keep students with flu-like symptoms home from school or daycare for at least 24 hours after their fever resolves without the use of fever-reducing medications, such as Tylenol or Advil, and/or if they have significant nasal drainage.
Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District