The Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District recognizes that all students need to be provided with an academic program that is challenging and engaging.
Elementary students who are identified as gifted may be served either in their home schools or through magnet programs. In either case, students receive qualitatively different instruction. This may be provided through the enrichment strands of the language arts and mathematics programs, special projects, variations on class assignments, or accelerated instruction. Typically, GATE students who remain in their home schools are grouped in clusters to meet their instructional needs. Students who opt to attend the magnet programs are assigned to classrooms where all students qualify for the GATE program. The GATE magnet site is determined by your home address. Our elementary magnet sites are Golden, Tynes, and Woodsboro:
Golden Elementary feeder schools:
Linda Vista Elementary
Mabel Paine Elementary
Rose Drive Elementary
Sierra Vista Elementary
John O. Tynes Elementary feeder schools:
Rio Vista Elementary
Ruby Drive Elementary
Van Buren Elementary
Woodsboro Elementary feeder schools:
Bryant Ranch Elementary
Travis Ranch Elementary
Middle School Program
Middle school GATE students and families have two options.
- Students may stay at their home site and participate in the GATE cluster program. Students are placed in honors classes based on district criteria.
- Students may go to Kraemer, the GATE magnet location. Students who opt to attend Kraemer are provided with GATE-only classes for four of the seven periods of the day. Their mathematics course will be based on district placement tests.
For further specifics on each program, please go to the Middle School Sites page.
High School Program
High school GATE students have many options.
- Students may stay at their home site and participate in Honors or Advanced Placement (AP) classes. The courses offered are determined at each school site.
- Students may apply for the International Baccalaureate (IB) program housed at Valencia High School.
- Students may apply for an academy. Each high school has different options.
For further specifics on each program, please go to the High School Sites page.